Enhancing First World War interpretive elements in Bowring Park, St. John’s
Bowring Park in St. John’s has a long history with the Newfoundland and Labrador First World War story. In 1911, the Bowring Brothers offered 50 acres of land to the City of St. John’s as a token of appreciation to the local community. The park was officially opened on July 15, 1914.
Honour 100 will work with the City of St. John’s and the Bowring Park Foundation on plans to enhance interpretation and signage in the park. Emphasis will be on the First World War memorials, including: the bronze caribou, the statue of The Fighting Newfoundlander, and the replica of the names plaques from Beaumont-Hamel.